Nasty Penguins - Home to Decadeology

Nasty Penguins is a forum for discussion of topics dealing with Decadeology.

Immaturity Required!

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My First Live Performance!

Written By: Red Ant on 09/02/07 at 12:43 am

I had plans to go out tonight with some former coworkers. All we were going to do is have a few drinks at the Bourbon Street Bar (formerly "Bones") and reminisce about how crappy our old jobs were (we're all from the same hotel). Turns out the bar we were going to was hosting karaoke, starting at 9:30PM.

I walked up to the DJ and asked about singing my own version to a song and if that was okay. "Sure, as long as there is no swearing, harsh swearing that is" was the reply. So, I signed my name and song.

At one point I scratched my name from the list because I thought the original song would have noticeable backing vocals in it. Turns out there were not many at all, so I signed back up.

An hour went by, and right as I was about to be called they went to intermission. Six irritating dance tunes in a row, and I was about to leave when the DJ came back. He called my name...

*butterflies on crack are flying full speed in my stomach, but it's too late to turn back now*

I get up to the mic (a Shure SM58) and asked the crowd, who had already heard a ton of country songs, "Do you like Garth Brooks?". Tepid response. "Do you like sex?" Finally, some cheers!
"I've written a little something different for 'Friends In Low Places', and I'm gonna sing it for y'all tonight"

I proceeded to sing "I've Had Sex In Strange Places". Man, did I get some looks! Mostly "what the hell..." or deer caught in headlight looks, but I had a blast singing it. I saw a few people smiling and laughing, particularly after the "hole in one" line.  If I may say so, I did a damned good job. I was worried about forgetting the lines, but they came to me. Over the booming PA system, I managed to have a lot more low end than my recording did.

When I got done I got a pretty good applause, several handshakes, and even a few high fives from a woman who knew what parody was!  She asked me if I was like Weird Al. I told her yes, minus the videos and professional recording gear, and money. She said "And you don't have the hair", to which I replied "I can't play the accordion either, but I consider that a plus." I talked to Kyle, who sang "Sweet Caroline" before the intermission and did an amazing job at it, and he was impressed with my song. We exchanged numbers for potential future collaboration.

One thing I heard, twice, was someone say "Watch your mouth".  ??? I wasn't profane, I don't even know where it came from (might be in the software to autoplay when someone cusses and misinterpreted my lyrics...). I don't care either!

Also, FILP has 4 outro choruses, so after I was done I asked the DJ to fade out the track.

The best thing is I got my performance cherry popped tonight: yes, it was my first time singing in public, and in front of no less than 100 people. Maybe a third were listening to (or into) the performance, but I didn't get any booing or negative reactions, so I was happy.

One lady said this to me: "You didn't sing the lyrics on the screen!". Astute observation!  ;D

I think I'm going to do karaoke more often now.

Subject: Re: My First Live Performance!

Written By: Bobo on 09/02/07 at 11:38 am

Karaoke is the greatest. Congratulations on getting the strength to do it, and it sounded like you did great.

Now all I need is the cojones to get back and do live performances (of a musical kind, obviously, we can't have anyone thinking anything else on this board..) more often, and that's really brought me back to a place where I wish I were in the right frame of mind to do so!

Written By: DocWoody on 09/03/07 at 8:57 am

Awesome story, Jack!  I fantasize about singing a parody live on stage.  The problem with country and western audiences is that they're often Bible Belt types who won't appreciate the kinds of parodies we do.  My Christmas songs also, those are usually sung in front of family audiences. 

I'm working on my own Friends in Low Places parody, called Kids in Lots of Places.  It's about sports figures who father illegitimate children.

Blame allergic effects, I can't wear latex,
At least that's what I tell the girls.
I'm an NBA star, playing games near and far,
Having sex all over the world.
Now I never meant to get them all bent,
I just wanted to play my sport.
Just wait 'til I sign for that 15.9,
And then they might see child support.

Cause I've got kids in lots of places
Where the mamas gripe, and the lawyer chases my paycheck down;
And that makes me frown.
Well I'm not big on contraceptives,
Need to get myself a whole new perspective,
Oh I got kids in lots of places.

Doc Woody

Written By: Tam on 09/03/07 at 12:38 pm

One great big stroke comin up Ant!!!

I am so happy for you that you got to sing in front of people, and you own parody at that!!!

Hahaha about Weird Al! Funny how that's the only person anyone thinks of!

I have sang karaoke a time or two - although I don't write parodies, so I just sing the words on the screen! ;D

Written By: DocWoody on 09/03/07 at 10:40 pm

If the "clean" site is what I think it is, I am already familiar with it.  In fact I've posted a recording there, "Ain't Going Home 'Til We Win That Cup," about the Ottawa Senators.  My only clean parodies are sports ones, so far.

Written By: DocWoody on 09/04/07 at 7:03 am

Blame allergic effects, I can't wear latex,
At least that's what I tell the girls.
I'm an NBA star, playing games near and far,
Having sex all over the world.
Now I never meant to get them all bent,
I just wanted to play my sport.
Just wait 'til I sign for that 15.9,
And then they might see child support.

And that makes me frown.

Here's the continuation.  Clean enough for ya?  is 'ho' considered racist?

Well that test must be wrong. That kid don't belong to me,
But I've been here befo'.
I'll call up my buds, we'll start slinging some mud,
And we'll paint that woman a ho.
And I'm gonna prize that look in her eyes
When she sees me getting away
With knocking her up and saying goodbye,
And hopping on my private plane!

And that makes me frown.

Well that test must be wrong. That kid don't belong to me,
But I've been here befo'.
I'll call up my buds, we'll start slinging some mud,
And we'll paint that woman a ho.
But to my surprise, there's fire in her eyes,
That skank really wants to get paid,
When I crossed the border, they showed the court order,
And repo'ed my pimped Escalade!

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/07 at 9:24 pm

I had plans to go out tonight with some former coworkers. All we were going to do is have a few drinks at the Bourbon Street Bar (formerly "Bones") and reminisce about how crappy our old jobs were (we're all from the same hotel). Turns out the bar we were going to was hosting karaoke, starting at 9:30PM.

I walked up to the DJ and asked about singing my own version to a song and if that was okay. "Sure, as long as there is no swearing, harsh swearing that is" was the reply. So, I signed my name and song.

At one point I scratched my name from the list because I thought the original song would have noticeable backing vocals in it. Turns out there were not many at all, so I signed back up.

An hour went by, and right as I was about to be called they went to intermission. Six irritating dance tunes in a row, and I was about to leave when the DJ came back. He called my name...

*butterflies on crack are flying full speed in my stomach, but it's too late to turn back now*

I get up to the mic (a Shure SM58) and asked the crowd, who had already heard a ton of country songs, "Do you like Garth Brooks?". Tepid response. "Do you like sex?" Finally, some cheers!
"I've written a little something different for 'Friends In Low Places', and I'm gonna sing it for y'all tonight"

I proceeded to sing "I've Had Sex In Strange Places". Man, did I get some looks! Mostly "what the hell..." or deer caught in headlight looks, but I had a blast singing it. I saw a few people smiling and laughing, particularly after the "hole in one" line.  If I may say so, I did a damned good job. I was worried about forgetting the lines, but they came to me. Over the booming PA system, I managed to have a lot more low end than my recording did.

When I got done I got a pretty good applause, several handshakes, and even a few high fives from a woman who knew what parody was!  She asked me if I was like Weird Al. I told her yes, minus the videos and professional recording gear, and money. She said "And you don't have the hair", to which I replied "I can't play the accordion either, but I consider that a plus." I talked to Kyle, who sang "Sweet Caroline" before the intermission and did an amazing job at it, and he was impressed with my song. We exchanged numbers for potential future collaboration.

One thing I heard, twice, was someone say "Watch your mouth".  ??? I wasn't profane, I don't even know where it came from (might be in the software to autoplay when someone cusses and misinterpreted my lyrics...). I don't care either!

Also, FILP has 4 outro choruses, so after I was done I asked the DJ to fade out the track.

The best thing is I got my performance cherry popped tonight: yes, it was my first time singing in public, and in front of no less than 100 people. Maybe a third were listening to (or into) the performance, but I didn't get any booing or negative reactions, so I was happy.

One lady said this to me: "You didn't sing the lyrics on the screen!". Astute observation!  ;D

I think I'm going to do karaoke more often now.

Ant

I remember reading this....

I thought you were familiar.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/14/07 at 3:49 pm

Oh wow, I thought it was common knowledge who I was over here...

*humbled*

:D

Ant

Well, I wasn't too sure...

I kept my username the same, although I did toy around with the idea of calling myself "Inner Step-chan" over here.